Using Resources Effectively in ESL and Content Instruction

Standard 3C: Using Resources Effectively in ESL and Content Instruction

The artifact I chose for Standard 3C is a unit that I planned as a result of my role as my school’s Computer Science for All (CS4ALL) representative. I was asked to assume this position by my administration and reluctantly accepted at first, but now I am glad they asked me to do this. Creating this unit forced me to think from an entirely new perspective.

This unit exemplifies my ability to create tasks that incorporate multiple forms of media to accommodate different learners. Though it was at first a tall task, writing this unit taught me to engage with computers and incorporate technology into my lessons in ways I had not previously imagined. The hands-on nature of the activities and the real-world application of the skills students learn in this unit make it appealing and accessible to students of all stripes. Computer science and computers in general are a part of the ever-changing definition of what it means to be “college ready.” If I can prepare my students for this increasingly relevant aspect of life, then I am doing them a much needed service.

I was at first reluctant because our school has no computer science program, slow internet speeds, and limited technology, so I knew that I would have to get creative and build it from the ground up. At the time, I was also working on my edTPA, a very stressful process. The combination of these factors caused me to push the creation of this unit to the back of my mind until recently.

As mentioned, my school has limited technology. This, however, gave me the opportunity to think outside of the computer and include hands-on, “unplugged” activities. At the same time, there are opportunities for students to get on the computer and do real coding on Codesters.org. I did not realize it at the time, but our lack of technology caused me to create multiple entry-points into computer science. I would love to say that this was on purpose, but had I been in a wealthier district with one-to-one technology, I am not sure that I would have thought to include non-computer tasks. I ended up with a unit that mixes technology with resource-rich materials and activities.

About the author: Jonathan Hull